To name in English, this recipe is to be called as ‘Fish sour curry cooked with elephant apple and edible fiddlehead ferns’ which is in Assamese called ‘Ou Tenga Dhekia Aru Maasor Jool’. This is very famous and popular recipe in Assamese household. Now let us try how to prepare this awesome recipe.
- Shallow Fried fish- 200 grm (you can use any types of fresh water or river fishes....Here I have used Bhangon fish)
- Half Ou Tenga (elephant apple)
- Dhekia (Fiddlehead Fern) - 1-2 bunch
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1tsp Mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 whole green chilly
- 1 tsp rice flour
- Wash the Dhekia xaak and chop the tender parts, keep aside
- Cut the Ou Tenga into medium pieces and boil in a pressure cooker adding some water and a pinch of salt to it (to reduce the cooking time)
- In a pan, heat the mustard oil and add 1tbs mustard seeds, turmeric powder, chilly and salt.
- Add boiled Ou tenga pieces along with the boiled water
- If necessary add another glass of water and simmer for a minute.
- Mix the rice flour with a little water to make a light paste and add to the pan.
- Now add the dhekia xaak to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the boiling stew add the fried fishes and cook for another 10 minutes
- Finally, it is ready to enjoy the most popular Assamese sour curry with steamed rice.