- Spiritual values in Education: Spiritualism is a subjective experience that believes in spiritual entities. It is an inner realization of spirit and spiritual values are eternal. Spiritual education set up high ideals and plant seeds of nobility and virtue in the hearts of the students. Under the influence of this education people in ancient India lived a superior life. It is high time for us to teach our students the fundamental truth like reverence, restraint, broadmindedness, tolerance, love cooperation, sympathy, non-violence etc.
- Moral values in Education: The kind of behavior approved by the
people is called moral behavior. An individual can develop moral behavior
only when he understands what is good and what is evil, what is right and
what is wrong. The consciousness of right and wrong, good and evil is
called moral values. It is the self’s awareness of the character of an
action as right or wrong.
- Social values in Education: Individuals
constitute society which has certain ideas, models and norms in general in
respect of behavior, conduct, duties and responsibilities towards one
another. Love to humanity, universal brotherhood, sincerity, honesty and
integrity of character, firm attitude of rendering help and doing action
and works in general benefit etc. are some of the constituents of healthy
social life. True education aims at developing individuals into social
beings having these virtues. Social values can be inculcated by
introducing a programme for educational value of social service. Social
service implies service to society or groups of individual bound together
by rules or conventions for achievement of objectives and aims.
- Health values: Good health is a valuable asset
to man that brings for him happiness and prosperity. Sound health is the
greatest of all blessings and is a condition for joyful and energetic
life. Therefore, it is very much essential for our students to acquire knowledge
of diseases, its causes and prevention of physiology and hygiene. Hence,
the centers of learning should impart knowledge of health sense, health
attitude and health values. The National physical efficiency tests should
be administered on a universal scale to assess the development of health
values among the students.
- Recreational values: Recreation refers to both intrinsic and instrumental values. It includes the multifarious programmes organized in educational institutions which give an opportunity to the students for self-expression and self-fulfillment. The laboratories and libraries, play ground, auditorium and common room have high recreational values. These places of the temple of learning help the students to utilize their leisure time for self cultivation through various academic, aesthetic and cultural activities. It makes education meaningful and takes care of the entire personality of the young people, their minds and their bodies.
- The teacher must follow their professional ethics: Ethics is the system of moral principles and code of conduct by which a profession controls itself and directs and monitors the behavior of its members. The teacher should be dedicated to the subject matter, welfare of the students and high service motive. Moreover maintaining good interpersonal relations with students, colleagues, authorities, guardians and society are considered as professional role of the teachers. The teacher should refrain from inciting students against other students, colleagues or administration.
- The teacher must have accountability: The teacher’s accountability is essentially a devotion to the teaching profession and a commitment to impart knowledge and skills to the students. It is an obligation to discharge his duty with sincerity and dedication. He should have a sense of moral thinking and ethical consciousness. The teacher must be responsible to the students, to the Head, to the society, to the nation and obviously to himself.
- Teacher should inculcate spiritual moral values: In order to provide the young pupils with opportunities for the realization of desirable social as well as spiritual values, multifarious programmes should be organized in the educational institutions. Suitable persons should be invited to deliver inspiring talks on the lives and teachings of great spiritual leaders, their ethical system and philosophy. Broad based spiritual education should be imparted to the students in colleges.
- Teacher should inculcate social and civic values: The teacher should organize such activities like NCC, NSSS, scout & Guide that helps the students to develop themselves physically and mentally. Moreover programmes of manual labour as cleanliness of neglected localities, picnics, excursions etc should be arranged to give opportunities to the students for broadening outlooks and understanding humanities and values. The colleges should exercise activities like debates and discussions on the current issues and problems of our nation to inculcate proper civic values and attitudes. Student’s union body should be there to maintain a good cooperation. The students should be involved in constructive group activities in areas that interest them. Association of different departments, clubs like eco-club, science club, red ribbon club and science club. Their activities not only foster and propagate values but also a means of developing better adjusted citizens in the society.
- The teacher should possess high moral character: The teacher should have self control, impartial attitude, noble and contented soul and a spirit of renunciation and service. A teacher with a blazing character and freed from commercial faint can e expected to command the respect and admiration of the pupils and produce the necessary effect on their minds by way of helping them manifest the perfection that is already in them.
- Maintaining good relationship with students: The teacher should maintain good relationship with the students. The teacher should respect the right and dignity of the students in expressing his/her opinion. He should deal justly and impartially with students regardless of their religion, caste, economic, social and physical characteristics. He should inculcate among students a scientific outlook and respect for physical labour and ideals of democracy, patriotism and peace.
- Inculcation of health values: The teachers should organize some health related programmes to impart knowledge of health sense, health attitude and health values to the students. Some mental health and hygiene programmes should be undertaken. To make the students cheerful and energetic, physical exercises like drill, running games and sports should be organized.
- B. S. Das. Principles of education and education in the emerging Indian society, Delhi: Ajanta Prakashan, 2001.
- L. Koshi (2007). “Value development: Suggestive Strategies,” University News, 45 (52), pp 24-30.
- R.A. Sharma. Teachers in the emerging Indian Society, Meerut: R Lall Book Publishers, 2009.
- V. Kesari. Values- the key to a meaningful life, Madras: Sri Ramkrishna Math, 2003.