A STUDY ON STUDENTS PERCEPTION ABOUT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SEMESTER SYSTEM IN THE UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGES UNDER DIBRUGARH UNIVERSITY


Ratna Das
Department of Education, Assistant Professor
Gargaon College, Simalaguri, Dist-Sivasagar, Assam, India

Abstract
This paper is an analysis of student’s perception about semester system of education introduced in the degree colleges under Dibrugarh University. The study has been conducted on 200 undergraduate students selected at random from five selected degree colleges of Sivasagar District affiliated to Dibrugarh University of Assam to find out their perception towards semester system of education. A self-structured questionnaire revealing perception of students towards evaluation process under semester system was administered. The collected data were analyzed through using frequency and percentage. The research result revealed that the perception of students towards internal assessment and overall evaluation under semester system is not quite satisfactory. The findings of the present study will help in developing strategies to make modification of evaluation process under semester system.

Keywords: Perception, Curriculum, Evaluation, Favorable attitude 

1.Introduction
As a result of the impact of globalization, liberalization and privatization educational system all over the world has been changing drastically for the last few years. Because of the advancement in science and technology and exposure to new concepts and knowledge educationists all over the world has been investigating to find out more innovative and effective system of education. Semester of education is a product of these investigations. We find that most of the nations of the world today are following this new system of education in their higher education. The central universities in India have been following this from quite some time. Though Assam has reacted to this new system quite lately but at present, most of the universities in Assam have also introduced this semester system at graduate and post-graduate level. Dibrugarh University of Assam has introduced semester system at undergraduate level from the year 2012. The semester system is a very effective system as it engages both the teachers and the students throughout the year in academic activity. It also reduces the burden of examination. Semester system is not only an examination system rather it is a learner centered system of education whose primary concern is learning instead of teaching. The main motto of semester system is to put emphasis on continuous internal assessment of learners’ progress.

Etymologically the Word ‘Semester’ originates from a Latin Word ‘sementris’ which means ‘Course of six Months’. The word ‘Se’ means Six and ‘mentris’ means month. So, it literally means ‘Half of a Year’ or ‘one of the two divisions of an Academic Year’. However, a Semester does not only mean dividing an academic year into two half yearly sessions. It is an innovative approach to teaching-learning process, a new educational culture, which allows greater interaction between teachers and the students.

Itis noteworthy to be mentioned here thatPathak& Rahman (2013) in their research study has found out that the overall perception of both students and teachers towards curriculum under semester system is good. 9 % of the students are strongly satisfied, 60.2% are satisfied and 7.5 % are strongly dissatisfied with the curriculum under semester system of education. The study also revealed that 10.5 % of the student respondents are strongly satisfied, 59.4 % are satisfied with the syllabus coverage within stipulated time period. Again regarding the regularity and punctuality of the teachers it is found that 48.9 % students are strongly satisfied and another 42.2 % are satisfied under system. Similarly Rana and Perveen (2013) in their research study on “a Study to investigate the views of Punjab UniversityStudents regarding Semester System in Pakistan” has found out that 90% of the respondent have semester system develops creative powers in the students, 60% affirmed that the semester system helped to broaden the students’ perspective. Half of the students have accepted that the students find enough time to prepare themselves for the type of examination offered in semester system. 92% of the student answered that semester system made the system made the workload lighter. Besides this in the above survey 88% students confirmed that pass percentage is greater in semester system. From the above study it has been found that 30% of the sample groups shown their favorable attitude towards the implementation of semester system but 70% of the teachers have shown their un favorable attitude to awards implementation of semester system.

2. Objective
Through the present study, an attempt is made to analyze the student’s perception with regard to quality of evaluation under semester system of education.

3. Methodology 
The following method has been applied in the present research study. Considering the nature of the data collected, Descriptive survey method has been adopted in this present study. In the present study all the students of degree colleges of Sivasagar District has been considered as the population. In the present study the sample of the universe has been selected by adopting simple random sampling technique. There is 21 degree colleges affiliated under Dibrugarh University in Sivasagar District of Assam. Considering the feasibility of the study out of these 21 colleges 5 colleges has been selected randomly for the study. After that 24% of students from these five colleges have been selected randomly as the sample for the study. The sample size of the study consists of 200 undergraduate students. The required data to meet the objective was collected through administering a questionnaire prepared by the investigator. The questionnaire contains questions focusing on students view about the quality of evaluation under semester system.

The present study was delimited in the following aspect: (a) The present study has been delimited to degree colleges affiliated under Dibrugarh University.(b)The study has been delimited to the students of 5th semester only.(c)The present study has been delimited to the degree colleges of Sivasagar District only.

4. Results and Discussion
The main objective of the present study is to analyze the student’s perception with regard to quality of evaluation under semester system of education .The data collected against this objective is analyzed below-

4.1 Does evaluation under semester system gives true picture of student’s abilities.

The data collected against the above question is shown in the table.no.1 below

Table No.1

Response
Number of Respondents
Percentage of respondent
Yes
126
63%
No
74
37%
Total
200
100%

The above table shows that 63% students out of 100 replied in favor of semester system and only 37% of the respondents have given their consent against semester system. The data tabulated above is demonstrated with the help of the following bar diagram.


4.2 Does the students get more marks under semester system?
The data collected against the above question is shown in the table.no.2 below

Table No.2

Response
Number of Respondents
Percentage of respondent
Yes
134
67%
No
66
33%
Total
200
100%


Table no.2 reveals that according to 67% of respondent students get more marks under semester system and on the other hand 33% of respondent has replied that students do not get more marks under semester system of education. The data tabulated above is demonstrated with the help of the following bar diagram.


4.3 Do you think that due to frequent examination it creates anxiety among the students?

The data collected against the above question is shown in the table.no.3 below

Table No.3

Response
Number of Respondents
Percentage of respondent
Yes
146
73%
No
54
27%
Total
200
100%


Table no.3 reveals that according to 73% of respondent due to frequent examination under semester system it creates anxiety among the students and on the other hand according to 27% of respondent frequent examination doesn’t create anxiety among the student under semester system of education. The data tabulated above is demonstrated with the help of the following bar diagram.


4.4. Do you think that less attachment with your teachers may leads to negative effect on your internal assessment marks?

The data collected against the above question is shown in the table.no.4 below 


Table No.4
Response
Number of Respondents
Percentage of respondent
Yes
98
49%
No
102
51%
Total
200
100%

Table no.4 reveals that according to 49% of respondent that less attachment with their teachers may lead to negative effect on their internal assessment marks and on the other hand according to 51% of respondent less attachment with their teacher does not lead to negative effect on their internal assessment marks under semester system of education. The data tabulated above is demonstrated with the help of the following bar diagram.


4.5. Do you think that students have become more examination oriented under semester system?

The data collected against the above question is shown in the table.no.5 below:
 Table No.5

Response
Number of Respondents
Percentage of respondent
Yes
174
87%
No
26
13%
Total
200
100%

Table no.5 reveals that according to 87% of respondent students have become more examination oriented under semester system on the other hand according to only 13% of respondent students have not become more examination oriented under semester system of education. The data tabulated above is demonstrated with the help of the following bar diagram.


The main findings of the study are summarized as-
  • Most of the respondents (63%) are of the view that evaluation under semester system gives true picture of student’s abilities.
  • According to 67% of respondent students are able to get more marks under semester system of examination.
  • According to 73% of respondent due to frequent examination under semester system it creates anxiety among the students.
  • 49% of respondents are of the opinion that less attachment with the teachers may lead to negative effect on their internal assessment marks.
  • According to 87% of respondent students has become more examination oriented under semester system of education.

5. Policy Implication
  • In the above study as it has been found that frequent examination under semester system creates anxiety among the student, so some modification in the examination system under semester system is very much essential to minimize the feeling of anxiety among the student.
  • In the above study as it has been also found that less attachment with the teacher’s may lead to negative effect on the internal assessment marks of the student, so the system of evaluation through internal assessment needs proper monitoring by the authority.
  • As most of the respondent have replied that students have become more examination oriented under semester system, so the evaluation system under semester system should be modified in such a way so that the students does not give more importance only on appearing in the examination.
6. Conclusion
From the above study it can be concluded that though the implementation of semester system is an innovative approach in Higher Education system of Assam but the perception of the students of undergraduate colleges of Sivasagar district under Dibrugarh University regarding the evaluation process under semester system of education are not so much satisfactory. The analysis of the results shows that most of the students perceive that frequent examination creates anxiety among them and students have become more examination oriented under semester system. Moreover 49% of students feel that due to less attachment with their teachers may leads to negative effect on their internal assessment marks. On the other hand it has been also found that some of the students have also provided satisfactory answer. Most of students believe that evaluation under semester system gives true picture of student’s abilities and they are also able to get more marks under this system.

References
  • Rana and U. Perveen (2013, May). “A study to investigate the views of punjab university students regarding semester system in Pakistan.” Asian Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities.(online). 2(2), pp.79 – 83.
  • P. Mallik (2013, November). “A Study on Implementability of Semester System of Examination in Under Graduate Course of Calcutta University.” Indian Journal of Applied Research. (Online).3(11), pp.122 -124.
  • T. Pathak and A. Rahman.(2013). “Perception of Students and Teachers towards Semester System: A Study in Some Selected Degree Colleges of Nagaon town of Nagaon District of Assam.”Journal of Education and Practice. (online) Available:
  • http://www.iiste.org/journals/index.php/JEP/article/view/4045. 4(1), pp.84- 91.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Every Sense on Art, Culture & Literature; Travel & Tourism; Commerce & Economy; Science & Technology; etc. Send us your Write-up by Email: dimorianreview@gmail.com

DIMORIAN REVIEW WELCOMES YOUR ASSOCIATION AS A CONTRIBUTOR

Share every sense on Art, Culture & Literature; Travel & Tourism; Commerce & Economy; Science & Technology; etc. Publish Article, Story, Poetry, Book Review, Travelogue, Recipe and News. Send us your creative contents written or transcreated in English at E-mail:dimorianreview@gmail.com

Get Free Updates at Your Inbox! Enter Your Email Address:

WE'RE HAPPY TO SEE YOU HERE. PLEASE VISIT AGAIN. HAVE GOOD TIME!

Twitter Bird Gadget