In the Comprehensive Master Plan for Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority-2025, it is mentioned that growing urbanization level and the pollution have had a negative impact on the region’s (GMDA) stability. Overall wetland degeneration has emerged as a major problem in the region caused by encroachment, natural siltation, earth filling, and garbage dumping. But ignoring the sensitive facts and the suggestions of the Master Plan, Centre as well as the State Government are in a hurry to set up AIIMS in Assam at Jalah of Sindurighopa Mauza, North Guwahati (Not at Changsari). ‘Jalah’, the name itself says that it’s a natural reservoir.
- In Khetri’s proposed site, there are sufficient land for future extension of AIIMS-like institute& suitable soil for construction. In the proposed site Nalgedera, there are more than 900 bighas (360 acres) of land. This site is situated in the revenue village of Helagog, Dimoria Mouza & its Dag No. is 587.
- There is no permanent or temporary construction in the site, for which no compensation is required to pay.
- There are three roads connecting Guwahati & Khetri, viz., NH37 via Khanapara, Narengi-Amsing Jorabat via Digaru and Narengi via Pobitora. These three ways of communication to Khetri from Guwahati can reduce the traffic volume of Guwahati city, that can be created by the movement of the patients & their attendantsand patient can freely move to their destination. Moreover proposed Kuruwa-Narengi Bridge on Brahmaputra could help the people of the North Bank to easily connect with Khetri.
- Digaru and Kollong are two potential rivers for water supply.
- Proposed Tetelia Railway Junction, connecting Meghalaya is just 1.5 km away and Kamrup Khetri railway station is just 3.5 km reach. Two big railway stations, Digaruand Jagiroad are nearly 13 km away in the west and east direction of Khetri. The location at Khetri is a flood-free and peaceful area with beautiful landscape.
- Geographic location is the most suitable for communication of the people of other six states.
Then why it is necessary to set up of AIIMS in a reservoir. One may justify the point that sophistication of present day’s constructions is sufficient to build any type of construction, anywhere.
[Shri Bhrigu Pathak, Sr. Sub Editor, Dainik Asom, Chandmari, Guwahati-3]